Monday, August 04, 2008

BC Day Canoe Ride










Today was BC Day. British Columbia is officially 150 years old. Happy Brithday, or anniversary, which would it be anyways?



We took a canoe up to Allouette Lake. The boys were going camping and Nick and Lexi came for the ride. They all went out on the water for a couple of hours while I stayed on the beach with my camera


Because it was a holiday weekend, the beach was packed. We took our own canoe. There is a canoe rental business on the beach and there was a line up to pay a fortune for an hours rental. Yay for having our own! We have two and they are both really old and crumby, but they serve the purpose! Our smaller canoe, Keith has had since we were teenagers. The one seen here is one that came with a camper that Keiths dad bought about 10 years ago and it was old then!.Its held together with screws and duct tape! But we can drag it on the rocks and not worry about scratching it. After the little ones and I left, the boys were heading down away from civilization and the crowds, to the far end of the lake where they will camp in the forest.

And now I am off to bed. Thanks for stopping by!

6 comments:

Walker said...

If it floats it's seaworthy just thow in a dozen lifejackets to be safe.

Happy Birthday to BC.
We had a holiday to but we just dcall it "Monday".
Looks like you had some fun on yours and great pictures as always

Fred said...

It looks like an absolutely wonderful day - the scenery is breathtaking.

I used to canoe when I was much, much younger. I'm afraid my tired muscles wouldn't take me very far nowadays.

Bobbie said...

Looks like a good time was had by all! The weather was so great and perfect for camping. Hope the boys enjoyed themselves.

Take care and stay cool!

sharon said...

Sounds like our canoe that has been sitting on my dad's shed for the last 17 years or so. I'd like to find out if it floats, but it doesn't fit in the bath tub. Maybe I'll get up the guts to bring it out and try it at one of our local beaches. If I do, I'll be crossing everything I have two of and hoping for the best! Glad you all had a blast. You have to take advantage of Summer while it's here...you never know when Winter will turn up:(

Penny said...

I'd love to try canoeing - if only I had one. Sigh. I guess I'll be the one in the long line-up!

Chastity said...

Oh wow, it looks so beautiful there! Amazing pictures!!