Monday, November 21, 2005

Fog Blog

We are socked right in. The fog has come in from the sea and we are all stumbling about like a drunken blind man. This was the scene on the dike this Sunday at noon. We are used to getting some fog at this time of year. Usually it has burned off by late morning. This stayed with us all day. Our walking spot was as busy as ever though. With cyclists, joggers and dog walkers.


Sunday on the dike at noon.

Keith and the "boys" in the fog. So where do the sayings "Thick as pea soup" and "Socked right in" come from?

I did a quick search and came up with this info from Clouds R us http://www.rcn27.dial.pipex.com/cloudsrus/mistnfog.html

Pea-soup
Dust and smoke make fog much worse. In the early twentieth century, London was a very dirty city as a result of heavy industry and millions of coal fires. It was then famous for its fogs, which were "as thick as pea-soup". They were so thick and polluted that visibility (the distance you can see) would drop to 15 metres (50 ft) or less. As a result, the government was forced to try and clean up the city – and coal fires were banned in the 1950s. This dramatically reduced the number of fogs and fortunately pea-soupers are now a thing of the past!

I didnt smell peas though, just the dead salmon. Yeah , those guys again. They are still there.

Hopefully the sun will be shining tommorrow!

UPDATE:

Please go and visit Dl, she is struggling with some personal issues now and would benefit from some bloggy hugs. She is a lovely lady going through some difficult times, please go and lend your love that way.


6 comments:

David said...

You can really get some neat photos in the fog. I so remember those days down on the Texas coast. I miss that.

gal artist said...

Nice pics, I like the misty, mysterious quality of the fog.

Although, it's not fun to drive in. Living in the mountains, we actually get low lying cloud cover, looks like fog, but we are actually driving through clouds. Kind of cool.

dee said...

Yes I remember really foggy days when I lived in Langley/Aldergrove. Thanks for your comment on my blog. I should have stated that it was not real life, rather a bit of erotica shifting through my brain.

August95 said...

We are all socked in here to. I am in BC also... Richmond area and I don't think it is going anywhere. Love the new digs :)

Jamie Dawn said...

We moved from the Modesto, CA area a year ago. The fog gets really bad there. I don't miss that at all!

Anonymous said...

Hi came from oopsydaisy sure will miss ya over there!!! Take care I will stop again sometime.., Hugs,
Caroldee