Friday, January 29, 2010

Bare sole

While at the beach this week, we saw quite a few preschool aged children. Some out with parents , others with Grandparents. And others, well sadly for this child, it was difficult to tell who she was with.
At first, we just thought she was with this young family. I wasn't really paying attention. I just thought she made a cute photo in her bright pink sweater and bare feet. Although the air was mild and sunny, reaching 12c, the water and wet sand were still cold enough to make bare feet ache in a few seconds. But when she turned and began walking back along the beach, the family I had assumed she was with, didn't join her or react.
It became apparent at this point that she had wandered away from her family. She was looking around in an obvious effort to spot her people. She seemed calm and unconcerned. She passed us and about a 100 yards further, came up onto the grass where she eventually approached an older woman, perhaps her Grandmother, who looked frantic as she pushed a stroller with a small boy sat in it. Grandma was so upset that she began shouting at the top of her lungs telling her off for not staying near by. All the little girl said was "I came back to get my shoes".
This beach is between a busy train track and an ocean, not the safest place for such a small child to run freely. Not to mention all the people, you just never know when there are perverts and weirdos around! No wonder the Grandma was beside herself. She could hardly chase after her on the sand with a baby in the stroller. This little girl seemed quite taken back by her grandmas upset state. They just don't realize how easily they can come into trouble. Having had a couple of panic attacks when my own little ones wandered off briefly, I can certainly relate to Grandmas consternation! They were probably only separated for 15 minutes at the most. But we all know how quickly things can happen, and it must have seemed like an eternity to her Grandma.
Have your little ones ever given you this kind of fright?

8 comments:

Carver said...

Wow, I'm glad the story had a happy ending. My daughter is 24 now but when she was little I came out of the bathroom at home and she was gone and the kitchen door was open. I had a neighbor stay at my house in case I missed her and I ran around the block screaming at the top of my lungs (one mile). I knew she didn't have time to go farther than that.

FINALLY as I was running up my driveway crying with my neighbor shaking her head that she hadn't wandered back in, I glanced in my car and my child was playing in the floor of the car. I was one UPSET Mom. If I had taken the car to look for her I would have seen her but I was afraid I'd miss seeing her if I drove around the block which is why I ran. Thank goodness she didn't play with the GEARS in the car.

Unknown said...

I think you have done a good job to follow the little girl and her behaviour and to keep an eye on her. Your photographs show very well how vulnerable this little girl is in such a large empty space on the waterfront. You have described your concern very nicely Susan.

Sally said...

Oh goodness, Susan!! Thank heaven the little girl was reunited with her grandmother. You're so right; there are many, many things that can happen in the blink of an eye.

Your photo's, as always, are wonderful!!

Jew Wishes said...

What an excellent series of photos.

Fifteen minutes can be a life time, depending.

Faye said...

Glad you were watching the child in case anyone tried to take her (other than the grandmother) I can't remember my own wandering but I do remember when I got lost in Eatons in TO and spent some time in an office an given a sucker. My parents must have been frantic until the call of a little girl found and safe.
Hugs,
Faye

Jo said...

It's terrifying when something like that happens. The little kids go off to explore, and they don't realize they are in danger. I often see children like that, and I keep an eye on them until they are reunited with their parents.

Good job! I'm glad you followed up on it.

What beautiful (!!!) photos.

Cheers!

Penny said...

I can imagine Grandma's worry and relief. Little ones have no idea the dangers that lurk. Being the paranoid mother that I am, I have had more moments than I care - some real, some imagined. I still worry about my two 20 somethings, who are living at home.

One time my three year old son was missing from his bed at night. Just as I was ready to go to bed, I checked on my children and he was missing from his bed. I looked in the bathroom and throughout the house unable to find him. I was frantic. My calm husband found him, curled-up asleep on the floor of our closet. I've earned my gray hair!

Mark Kreider said...

Great blog, nice photography. Loved the pumpkin carving post.