Sunday, December 18, 2005

Duck Race


There is going to be a duck race.

Whooohooo! My daughters girls group is selling rubber duckies. On new years eve we will be releasing them into the river. 200 quackers on the lamb. the first duck to come in gets its owner a nice little prize. We are doing this as a fundraiser for the girls. $5 per duck isnt bad for the fun alone of going to the races. Im thinking of getting a side bet to make it even more interesting! My luck has been pretty good lately. Keith and I both won door prizes at a couple of functions. If i dont win the race, no biggie, Ill just cook my duck up a'lorange! What do you think , a little broccoli and rice along side? Now if you were my duck, wouldn't the thought of being served up on a platter encourage you to paddle as though your life depended on it!

I stopped at the store on my way home for one last gift that i'd forgotten about. Sitting on the sidewalk , leaning against the shop, was a homeless man with his trolley of paraphenalia. He was sleeping there with red, bare feet on a newspaper, his old boots beside him. I went in and got a pack of socks and would liked to have got him new boots, but that was more than i can spare just now. I thought he could put on 2 or 3 pairs of socks and hed be ok. At least our weather has been dry of late, albeit cool. When I approached him he was tying up a new pair of boots! He was beaming ear to ear! I gave him the socks anyway, to use another day. He had a tear in his eye. He was so greatful for the kindess hed been shown. He said another lady had bought him the boots and that Christmas had come a week early for him. As I walked towards my car, he started singing we wish you a Merry Christmas.

8 comments:

carol said...

You made his day more than you will ever know. A couple of years ago I bought a homeless man a coffee, sandwich and a muffin. Since he was sitting outside the licqour store I opted to get him food instead of cash. He was so gratefull that someone cared enough to do that. He never did forget my face, as he always said a friendly hello every time I saw him.

Karen said...

The duck race sounds like a great idea, and fun too. Good luck! ;-)

You've got a good heart :-)

Have a great day! *HUGS*

David said...

How touching and thoughtful. Yes he did experience the true spirit of Christmas from two good souls.

Monica said...

A thoughtful gesture...epitomizing the TRUE spirit of Christmas...see? I KNEW you were special!

The duck race sounds fun!

Anonymous said...

That was done in the true spirit of Christmas.
Looking out for the underprivilaged is something you can do all year 'round.
I've read about past duck races and it sounds like fun.
Take care and have a good week.

Anonymous said...

you are a very good person, such a nice gesture

Anonymous said...

Sounds like fun. Quackers!

Curious Servant said...

It is a lot of fun. There is a fund raiser for cancer every year where folks can cheer for their duck. A whole dump truck is backed up onto one of the bridges and thousands of the ducks are released into the wild.

A lot of fun.